Getting Involved In Your Community
By: Mariam A. and Sarah F.
One of the highlights of going to the masjid for Jummah as a child was playing with your friends as your parents talk with their friends for a while. As a child, your parents decide when and where you go, so being at the masjid is a common thing. When you get older, however, it becomes harder to find time for your Islamic community.
Understanding the benefits of stepping out and connecting with your community can motivate you to do so. One of the major advantages of connecting with your community is the positive effect it has on your mind. Getting involved provides you with a sense of importance and sisterhood.
Getting involved in your community is not only beneficial for yourself, but also for others. “Prophet Muhammad (saws) narrated, ‘A believer to another believer is like a building whose different parts support each other.’ The Prophet then clasped his hands with the fingers interlaced while saying that” (Bukhari). An-Nu`man ibn Bashir narrated that Muhammad saws said “The believers in their mutual kindness, compassion and sympathy are just like one body. When one of the limbs suffers, the whole body responds to it with wakefulness and fever” (Bukhari and Muslim).
As mentioned in these hadiths, it’s important to always be there for others. Being part of a community keeps us from feeling alone and burdened.
Allah (swt) mentions in the Quran numerous times the importance of having a sense of community in Islam. Allah mentions, “Indeed the believers are brothers.” (49:10), reminding us that our close ties should not just include our immediate family.
Allah also states, "O mankind, indeed We have created you from a male and a female and made you peoples and tribes that you may know one another. Indeed, the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted" [Quran 49:13]. Islamic sisterhood is a bond that is formed through religion and good deeds, and transcends the boundaries of nationality, race, region, color and wealth.
We may be of different backgrounds, but we worship the same God, believe in one holy book, and pray in the same direction every day. As muslims, we should be proud of our diverse communities and our combined goal of reaching Jannah.
Keep reading to learn 7 easy ways to get involved in your Islamic community:
Always begin everything with making a specific intention (niyaa). The best things in life begin with pure and purposeful intentions. A good intention can be as simple as giving salaams to someone near you and hoping to make her day better by doing so.
2. Get in contact with a masjid leader, or check bulletin boards and see what events are going on. If you see an event happening at a nearby masjid, make an effort to go. You could end up meeting a new friend or mentor!
3. Be open to hosting an event for Muslimahs in your community! This could be a Qiyam during Ramadan, a talent show, or even a picnic at a nearby park.
4. Look for volunteer opportunities at your local masjid. Volunteering is a perfect way to gain knowledge through hands-on experience, but also a way to connect with people that have the same interests as you.
5. Sign up for Quran classes, or any classes that your masjid holds on a regular basis. Learning about the teachings of Islam as a group is one of the best ways to strengthen your imaan, and meet other people interested in doing that too.
6. Go to the masjid more often. You get closer to your deen by simply being in that environment. And by being there, you’re more likely to meet other girls with similar interests as you.
7. Meet with organizations like Helping Hand or Islamic Relief and help with any charity events they may have. You could set up a clothing drive, asking others to donate what they no longer use. Donating and encouraging others to donate is a way to fulfill charity, one of the five pillars of Islam.
There you have it! Seven easy ways to get involved in your Islamic community.
JazakAllahukhairan for reading. InshAllah one if not all of these tips benefit you and helps you to play a bigger part in your local community.
Let us know in the comments below your favorite way to get involved in your community!